Do you live off-campus and are interested in composting service?
Sanitary Service Company offers FoodPlus!. Through FoodPlus! you can compost food waste, pizza boxes, yard debris, and food soiled paper product. Organics from homes and businesses make up 29% of the waste in Washington’s landfills, taking up space in our landfills and releasing toxic gases such as methane into the atmosphere. Do your part and prevent food waste from going to a landfill!
Steps to get compost at your housing unit
- Get others interested! Talk with your neighbors in the housing unit and ask them if they
would be interested in being able to compost. Inform them how their participation is
extremely important, because the property managers will want to see that the quantity of
landfill waste is decreasing.
- When you have support from neighbors, send a letter to the owner/property manager
asking to add Foodplus!
- If the owner/property manager are unwilling to cover the costs, offer to pay the difference.
It costs about $9.50 per month for every other week pickup. (Cost as of Feb. 2018)
- Contact SSC at (360) 734-3490 to change your waste services.
- Know what you can put into your FoodPlus! Bin and help teach your neighbors
Download the “Apartment Landlord Letter Template” to send to your landlord requesting composting service.
Steps to get compost collection at your house
- If you pay for your own waste collection it is a quick and easy call! Contact Sanitary Service
Company at (360) 734-3490. Ask them to add FoodPlus! to your account and drop your trash pickup to every other week. This should be a total of about $27 a month, saving
yourself $4.60 a month. (Costs as of Feb. 2018)
- If your landlord manages your waste, send a email/letter asking to add FoodPlus!. (See
- Know what you can put into your FoodPlus! Bin.
Download the “Landlord Letter Template” to send to your landlord requesting composting service.