Do you live off-campus and are interested in composting service?
Sanitary Service Company offers FoodPlus!. Through FoodPlus! you can compost food waste, pizza boxes, yard debris, and food soiled paper product. Organics from homes and businesses make up 29% of the waste in Washington’s landfills, taking up space in our landfills and releasing toxic gases such as methane into the atmosphere. Do your part and prevent food waste from going to a landfill!
Steps to get compost at your housing unit
Your landlord must be the one to contact SSC to change service
Your landlord must give the renter(s) permission to set up a FoodPlus! account at the property, paid by the renter(s).
- Get others interested! Talk with your neighbors in the housing unit and ask them if they would be interested in being able to compost. Inform them how their participation is extremely important, because the property managers will want to see that the quantity of landfill waste is decreasing.
- When you have support from neighbors, send a letter to the owner/property manager asking to add Foodplus!
- If the owner/property manager are unwilling to cover the costs, offer to pay the difference. It costs about $9.50 per month for every other week pickup. (Cost as of Feb. 2018)
- Contact SSC at (360) 734-3490 to change your waste services.
- Know what you can put into your FoodPlus! Bin and help teach your neighbors.
Download the “Apartment Landlord Letter Template” to send to your landlord requesting composting service.
Download the “Landlord Letter Template” to send to your landlord requesting composting service.
Steps to get compost collection at your housing unit
- If you pay for your own waste collection it is a quick and easy call! Contact Sanitary Service Company at (360) 734-3490. Ask them to add FoodPlus! to your account and drop your trash pickup to every other week. This should be a total of about $27 a month, saving yourself $4.60 a month. (Costs as of Feb. 2018)
- If your landlord manages your waste, send a email/letter asking to add FoodPlus!. (See template letter)
- Know what you can put into your FoodPlus! Bin.