Winter quarter Idea Labs will be held at 4:00pm in Miller Hall 112 on the following dates:
Application Deadline for Winter Quarter 2017:
Projects not put in front of committee by this date will still be considered for SAF grants, but will not be considered until Spring Quarter, 2018.
If you wish to have your grant approved before Spring Quarter, please contact the SAF team to discuss your options as time to present to the committee is quickly filing up.
Western students, staff, and faculty members are eligible to apply for a Sustainable Action Fund grant. Individuals or organizations outside of Western Washington University should look elsewhere for funding opportunities.
The campus community can apply for Small Grants between $500 and $5,000. Small grants have a one part application process where applicant teams must complete the Small Grant Application and submit it to the grant program. The Sustainable Action Fund makes every effort to award Small Grants within one month of the application due date, and does so on a rolling basis. Project implementation may take place as soon as the grant is awarded. All 2017-2018 Small Grant awardees must fully implement their grant project by May 15th, 2018 regardless of the date they applied for the grant. Up to $40,000 in Small Grants will be awarded in the 2017-2018 academic year. The small grant application can be found in the links section.
The Large Grants Program offers grants between $5,000 and $150,000. Large grants require a two part application process beginning with a Conceptual Application due first. If project teams are asked to continue on to write a Final Application, project teams must meet weekly to create a comprehensive proposal complete with a preliminary budget, design, and outreach plan in the Large Grant Final Applications. Depending on the project specifications, project implementation will likely take place between May of 2017 and May of 2018. The large grant Conceptual Application can be found in the links section.
General Requirements For Grant Proposals
All proposals submitted to the SAF Committee must adhere to the following requirements:
- Student proposals must include a staff or faculty sponsor.
- Proposals must address an issue concerning Western Washington University’s environmental impact.
- Proposals must have a visible educational benefit to Western’s student community.
- Proposals must include student participation and involvement.
- Projects must receive all necessary written approval by the appropriate University administration or departments before final submission.
- The Sustainable Action Fund is not intended to fund any proposals which were previously required by state or federal law, university policy, or contractual agreement.
- The SAF shall not fund operational, maintenance or ongoing costs.
- Proposals must have a method for evaluation and follow-up after the allocation of funds.
- All allocated funds must be spent within the proposal’s approved timeline, unless otherwise approved by the SAF Committee. Ideally, proposals will have a timeline of one year or less.
Awarded project teams will be required to:
- Meet on a regular basis with the SAF Grant Program Coordinator to discuss project status.
- Submit a Project Update report to inform the SAF Committee of your project status
- Submit a Project Poster for presentation to the campus community
- Submit a Final Report for the SAF Grant Program
Johnathan Riopelle, SAF Grant Program Coordinator
Spiro Pappas, SAF Projects Coordinator
Kate Rayner Fried, SAF Education Coordinator
Do you have a great idea for the Sustainable Action Fund but can’t make it to an Idea Lab? Send us (one of the above contacts) your idea, and we’ll share it with others!
Forms, Documents, and Guidelines
- Small Grant Application
- Small Grant Toolkit
- Large Grant Conceptual Application
- Large Grant Final Application
- Large Grant Toolkit
- Small Grant Contract
- Large Grant Contract
- Small Grant Funding Guidelines
- Project Stakeholder Fillable Form
- Project Owner Fillable Form
- Project Update Form
- Poster Guidelines
- Poster Template
- Small Grant Final Report-Template
- Large Grant Final Report -Template