Northwest Higher Education Sustainability Consortium (NWHESC)
Sustainability leaders from several northwest Washington institutions have formed the Northwest Higher Education Consortium (NWHESC). Bellingham Technical College, Northwest Indian College, Skagit Valley College, Western Washington University, and Whatcom Community College compose the NWHESC. The institutions have agreed upon the commitment of collaboration and partnership in promoting sustainability on campuses, in the community of Whatcom County and abroad.
The NWHESC pursues four over-arching goals:
- Advance sustainability efforts through facilitating communications and disseminating knowledge and information from and to the various campus and their communities;
- Develop the understanding of sustainability among the wide spectrum of the Consortium’s college and university communities as well as other individuals and groups with similar values and goals;
- Promote partnerships for advancing sustainability among the wide spectrum of the Consortium communities as well as other individuals and groups with like values and goals; and
- Increase capacity for the practice of sustainability on campuses and among the Northwest Consortium communities through building skills, transforming attitudes, and providing resources.
Representatives of the colleges/universities comprising the NWHESC are:
- Bellingham Technical College (BTC) – Dave Jungkuntz, Director of Operations
- Northwest Indian College (NWIC) – Kaisha Paul, Center for Health
- Skagit Valley College (SVC) – Ben Fackler-Adams, Chemistry Instructor
- Whatcom Community College (WCC) – Bob Riesenberg, Psychology Instructor
- Western Washington University (WWU) – Seth Vidana, Campus Sustainability Manager